This 110-year-old train terminal welcomes hundreds of thousands people daily. But how many stop to take in this world-class landmark? This 2-hour walking tour will give you reason to stop and admire this magnificent Beaux Arts building like never before.
This exploration of the Grand Central Terminal will include these, and more:
- A brief history of the Vanderbilt family behind the NY Central Railroad and the two Grand Centrals that came before the 1913 Terminal.
- A quick primer on what “Beaux Arts” architecture is and how to identify it.
- Vintage photos of the terminal’s construction, sculptures, and inaccessible areas.
- The incredible story of how the Terminal escaped the wrecking ball.
- The colossal mistake of the Terminal’s Grand Concourse ceiling.
- A trip to the Terminal’s hidden, landmarked cocktail bar that was once a private office.
- A peek into the window catwalks.
- An opportunity to tell secrets across the elliptical Guastavino “Whispering Gallery.”
- After the tour, get some holiday shopping done at the annual Grand Central Holiday Market!